If it's not related to other information in the database and don't change,
I'd put them into a file (CFM, TXT, XML, whatver) and then cache them in the
APPLICATION scope.  If it's not even application dependant (like states),
then put it in the SERVER scope.  If it's application dependant data
(product categories), the read that from the DB and cache it in the
APPLICATION scope.

If it never (or rarely) changes, cache it in memory, since dropdowns are
generally very small, especially if you'll be using it frequently.