Dave,

You can't inter-mingle server-side code (CF) and client-side code (JS.) CF
runs strictly on the server, while the JS in this example runs strictly on
the client-side.

You can use techniques like covered in my article "Client-to-Server
Communication Using DHTML"--which is at:

http://www.pengoworks.com/index.cfm?action=articles:gatewayApi

To simplify the work, I've written a Gateway JavaScript API (JSAPI) which
can be downloaded at:
http://www.pengoworks.com/workshop/js/gateway/

Conveniently enough, I even have included examples to do what you're trying
to do:
http://www.pengoworks.com/workshop/js/gateway/zipcode.htm

Hope this helps!

-Dan