On Monday, Mar 24, 2003, at 23:57 US/Pacific, Nick de Voil wrote:
>> What I'm really wondering if there's a way to get something like J2EE
>> session replication for the application scope.
> I've wondered this too, but it seems that, because application data is
> part
> of the servlet context, and the servlet context is unique to each JVM,
> there
> is no built-in way to do this envisioned by the Servlet API.
> Frustrating and
> counterintuitive that you can replicate session data but not
> application
> data.

Yes, I have to admit I was a little surprised that application scope
data couldn't replicate the same way session scope data can. As you say
tho', it depends on the underlying J2EE model which doesn't have a way
to support this.

> I imagine that an elegant solution might be achieved with JMS? but
> have no
> experience of using this with CF.

Yes, we actually experimented with that, using JMS to send change
notification messages and having a subscriber process on each server
perform the updates. We were doing it for server scope cached data but
the same principle applies to application scope. I say experimented
with because we didn't implement it in the end - a lot of work and
complexity. Most of our cached data changes infrequently and under
external (human) control so we just added a cache refresh as part of
the manual data update process.

Sean A Corfield -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

-- Margaret Atwood