Hi all,

I'm having some wierd kind of permissions problem with our dev box SQL
Server that I've never come across before, which makes me wonder if
something has changed on the machine to cause it. So either a permanent
solution or a temporary work around would be fantastic. This is using
CF5.

The problem is this: After deleting a local database, I use DTS to
transfer a copy of it from the production server (SQL Server 7) to my
dev server (SQL Server 2000 w/latest SP). Most of the tables are owned
by the user set up on the production server - let's say "Fred". Two
tables are owned by "dbo". I'm not sure how/why this is, but the
original database was created on the dev machine and then DTS'd up to
the production server. The tables owned by "dbo" were created later,
possibly directly on the production box. Each DTS operation was using
the "copy objects and data between sql servers" option, and the logins
are the same on both boxes so all keys, identities and default values
come across.

Now that I've created the new database and populated it with the data,
the local code can only access those tables that are owned by dbo.
Trying to access one of Fred's tables results in "Base table not found".
Specifying the database name in the CFQUERY (ie select * from
databasename.table) will make it work.

I've tried specifying "database=databasename;" in the connection string
area of the CF Administrator's ODBC area (under the "CF Settings" tab)
but that didn't have any effect. I've tried running EXEC
sp_changedbowner "dbo" but I get "Server: Msg 15007, Level 16, State 1,
Procedure sp_changedbowner, Line 33 The login 'dbo' does not exist."
presumably because "dbo" is not referring to an actual user.

All I want is to be able to develop locally again without changing 100+
queries... help!

Kay.