Oliver,

I am currently doing the ASP thing as well and I highly suggest you do not pass go
without first going here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=01592C48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en

and downloading scrdoc56en.exe.  The documentation it will install is invaluable since
it contains all of the latest
VBScript, JScript, etc, that you will find yourself using in ASP.

Also, ASP doesn't suck, it's just a PITA.  It's good that you're not CF only.  While
you'll find your ASP project to be
a royal pain, in the end you will find yourself with more skills and most likely a
better understanding of scripting in
general

As far as best practices, here are a few suggestions that I try to live by.
1.Use Option Explicit.  Although you may find this time consuming, I can not tell you
how important this is to do.

2.Use DSN-less connections with your OLEDB provider.

3.If possible, use SELECT CASE instead of multiple If Then's.  SELECT CASE is the ASP
equivalent of <CFSWITCH>

4.When debugging variables, wrapping a variable in TypeName(variable) can be so
helpful.  It's one of the few things I
wish CF had.  Even though ASP is a typeless enviornment, the data stored in a variable
will still have a data type.

5.When querying a database using ADO, use the .GetRows() method of the ADODB.Recordset
object.  This is the fastest way
to retrieve a  results back from a query.  In a nutshell, you will connect to your db,
run the query, return the results
into an ADODB.Recordset object, and then rs.GetRows() will copy the contents of your
recordset into a 2d array object.
Then all you have to do is deal with an array.  If you are not already familiar with
2D arrays, learn them.

I could probably squeeze a few more out, but I'll wait until you get into the project.
 If you need any further ASP
assistance feel free to email me offlist.

Eric