----- Original Message -----
From: "Oliver Cookson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 4:17 AM
Subject: OT: Learn ASP?

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the off-topic post but I have been thrown in the deep end and
> need to learn ASP for a project which will soon be landing on my desk,
> so I was hoping someone could recommend a book which teaches me the
> syntax and best practises in ASP.

When I was in the same situation, I got ASP in a Nutshell from O'Reilly --
it's just a reference to the language. Of course you'll also need a
reference to VBScript (or JScript depending on what you're working in -- I
like JScript much better, but all the examples are in VBScript so it's a
safer choice). It's a small book, the chapters are organized around the
"objects" in ASP (Session, Application, Request, Response, etc) and there's
a decent chapter on the ADO access components for the database.

And as another poster suggested, the WROX books are pretty decent, but
usually full of a lot of filler. The Beginning ASP 3.0 (I think that's the
name) had good, basic data access example code. The Professional ASP was
good, but only the first 5-6 chapters were normal ASP -- lots of case
studies, COM integration, etc is what I remember in the rest of it.

Regards,

John Paul Ashenfelter
CTO/TransitionPoint

Host with the leader in ColdFusion hosting.
Voted #1 ColdFusion host by CF Developers.
Offering shared and dedicated hosting options.
www.cfxhosting.com/default.cfm?redirect=10481