Thanks for the sympathy, Sean.

I do believe my problems are unusual, but I really don't know what can
possibly be unusual about my setup.   The system I was having problems with
last January/Feb is a PentiumIII with 1GB RAM, nothing extraordinary in
terms of hardware. Installing onto the default folders, with the web root at
c:\inetpub\wwwroot.   Even after my rebuild, I installed WinXPPRo, installed
all the MS patches and updates, and McAfee AntiVirus.   Then I disabled the
AntiVirus and tried to install CFMX and it wouldn't.  I messed about with
that for another day, then decided to reformat again and instead of doing
the patches and updates first, I installed CFMX the very first thing after
finishing the Windows install.  For the first time, it installed ok.  The
only difference this time was the MS security patches and updates, and
McAfee Antivirus.  So there's something in that package of goodies that
prevents CFMX from installing.  I just wish there was some kind of error
message to tell me what exactly fell over.  As it is, all I can tell anyone
is it wouldn't install with the MS Patches, and (disabled)Antivirus, but it
would install without them.   I added them after CFMX and nothing objected.
All's working fine.

NOW my problem is on the production server.   It isn't at my premises, it's
at a data centre in the USA.  I now have the Sysadmin there talking to
Macromedia, and they're working out the issue between them.

The lessons to learn?   I hope Macromedia have taken note and are going to
put much more error reporting into the installation routines for the next
time around.  At the moment, if the installation fails, there is nothing to
tell you exactly what part broke.   If you've messed around with CFMX
before, you have an idea of what should be where, so you can look around and
hopefully see what's missing.  If this is your first CFMX installation (as
this was for me) you have no idea what's missing because you don't know what
is supposed to be there. There's no documentation as to what folders should
be set up and what should be in each so there's no way to look around and
see what hasn't installed properly.  I only had a clue that my problem was
to do with jrun when Chris Kief took a look into my system and told me it
was missing.

Like everything in life, when it all goes fine, its easy.  What makes the
difference between good and excellent is how it behaves when something goes
wrong.  And I'm afraid that the CFMX installation routines stink when
something goes wrong.   Here's a MAJOR opportunity for Macromedia to improve
the next version, and I'm pretty certain they've made a note and they're
going to work on that aspect a lot.

Cheers,
Michael Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia