From: Jonathan McGuire [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2000 12:44 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: For those of us Desperately in Need of CFMail Help

------=_NextPart_000_00F0_01BFECC7.FB370FC0

I know that this has been bounced around some, but after much searching, =
I have been unable to find any type of solution.=20

I posted the following to the Allaire forums 3 days ago.  I have since =
posted a rather scathing response to my own message in the futile hope =
that someone at Allaire might actually look at it.  Anyway, for all of =
us that have been trying to make <CFMail> work like a "Real" mail =
client, here is the problem (and a proposed solution).  It's very simple =
and could be done in a patch.=20

Posting follows:=20

=20

It is apparent that the designers of the CFMail tag, despite their best =
intentions, did not fully understand the ramifications of simplifying =
certain things in CFMail tag.=20

My personal issue is the fact that MIME Attachments are always sent as =
"base64" encoded. This (to the best of my ability to find...) is =
preventing me and others from sending combined HTML/Plain Text email.=20

Normally in an SMTP client, the HTML and Plain Text are sent BOTH sent =
as "quoted printable" thus allowing a HTML capable mail client able to =
grab the HTML MIME Part, and a text mail client the Plain Text Mail =
Part.=20

CFMail requires that the attachment be loaded from a file, I can deal =
with this. However, why can't I change the Content-Encoding header for =
THAT MIME Part? This in and of itself would probably fix about 15% of =
the screaming need for help with CFMAIL!=20

Does anyone have a solution to this yet? I have looked at a couple of =
third party products, but none of them seems to fix this either. Someone =
please respond (Allaire, is anyone in that new building yet?)!!!=20

Email me and I will gladly discuss this by phone if you can help.=20

Frustatedly yours, Jonathan McGuire=20

------=_NextPart_000_00F0_01BFECC7.FB370FC0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<P>I know that this has been bounced around some, but after much =
searching, I=20
have been unable to find any type of solution.=20
<P>I posted the following to the Allaire forums 3 days ago.&nbsp; I have =
since=20
posted a rather scathing response to my own message in the futile hope =
that=20
someone at Allaire might actually look at it.&nbsp; Anyway, for all of =
us that=20
have been trying to make &lt;CFMail&gt; work like a "Real" mail client, =
here is=20
the problem (and a proposed solution).&nbsp; It's very simple and could =
be done=20
in a patch.=20
<P>Posting follows:=20
<P>=20
<P>It is apparent that the designers of the CFMail tag, despite their =
best=20
intentions, did not fully understand the ramifications of simplifying =
certain=20
things in CFMail tag.=20
<P>My personal issue is the fact that MIME Attachments are always sent =
as=20
"base64" encoded. This (to the best of my ability to find...) is =
preventing me=20
and others from sending combined HTML/Plain Text email.=20
<P>Normally in an SMTP client, the HTML and Plain Text are sent BOTH =
sent as=20
"quoted printable" thus allowing a HTML capable mail client able to grab =
the=20
HTML MIME Part, and a text mail client the Plain Text Mail Part.=20
<P>CFMail requires that the attachment be loaded from a file, I can deal =
with=20
this. However, why can't I change the Content-Encoding header for THAT =
MIME=20
Part? This in and of itself would probably fix about 15% of the =
screaming need=20
for help with CFMAIL!=20
<P>Does anyone have a solution to this yet? I have looked at a couple of =
third=20
party products, but none of them seems to fix this either. Someone =
please=20
respond (Allaire, is anyone in that new building yet?)!!!=20
<P>Email me and I will gladly discuss this by phone if you can help.=20
<P>Frustatedly yours, Jonathan McGuire=20
</P></FONT></DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00F0_01BFECC7.FB370FC0--

the body.