> Only problem is, Dave Watts, at least, disagrees with this article where
> 4.0x is concerned.

Dave sed: "I've seen this too, but don't recommend it. The variable
Application.ApplicationName is an Application variable, and should only be
referenced within a lock! I'd instead recommend that you simply use the
literal value that you put in your CFAPPLICATION tag for the name. So, if
you've got <cfapplication name="foo" ...>, use <cflock name="foo" ...> to
lock application variables. As long as you're consistent about this, you'll
be OK."

Good point.  It's a valid concern regarding the article's recommendations.
I would say the same about using session.sessionID to lock session vars.  I
typically use a randomly generated string CFSET in the application.cfm file
for locking sessions.

However, I would still say that everyone should read that article though.
The entire KB article is not invalidated just because of that one concern.
It does explain a lot about locking.

-Cameron