Bad form to reply to my own post, I know.

Solved part of the problem, at least.  The trick was to go into all of the
JRun configuration files and comment out everything that had anything to do
with Apache Axis.  CFMX now starts with no error messages.

I still am experiencing a problem, however, in that when I try to browse to
my pages, I get a 404 error.  For example,

http://notaspamserver.com/cfmx/thisfileishere.cfm

gives me a 404 error.  However, if I browse to, say,

http://notaspamserver.com/thisfileishere.cfm

I at least get the source code.

This tells me that the Cold Fusion server is still experiencing problems.

At 12:56 PM 6/10/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>I backed up all of my data files, deleted Cold Fusion and JRun, and
>reinstalled everything from scratch.  I first installed JRun 4, then the
>JRun 4 service pack 1a updater.  Then I installed Cold Fusion, then the
>Cold Fusion MX Updater 3.  All of the installations seemed to work fine,
>with no error messages reported in any of the installation logs.
>
>I also backed up and removed ${JRUN_HOME}/servers/lib/jrun_axis.jar since I
>know from experience that the admin server won't start with that file in
>place.
>
>Launching the Admin server is a piece of cake.  I can launch the admin
>server from the command line, then browse to the JMC on my webserver to
>launch the Default server.
>
>However, when I attempt to launch the default server, I receive the errors
>which I've cut and pasted below.  The browser simply reports that the pages
>are unavailable with an "Object not found" message.  HTML documents are
>served up fine, which tells me that Apache is working properly.

dependable ColdFusion Hosting.
http://www.cfhosting.com