>Bad form to reply to my own post, I know.

Why?

>Solved part of the problem, at least.  The trick was to go into all of the
>JRun configuration files and comment out everything that had anything to do
>with Apache Axis.  CFMX now starts with no error messages.

Actually, the trick with CFMX on JRun (I've learned from hours of
frustration) is to follow the prescription in the Release Notes for Updater
3:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/coldfusion/releasenotes/mx/releasenotes_mx_updater.html

Specifically, look for ID 49694 under "Known Issues with this Release" where
it discusses the need to swap out the webservices.jar file or tweak the
jrun.properties file to synchronize Axis engines. That should alleviate the
need for you to comment out all references to Axis. The problem lies in the
Axis engine version differences (since the JRun SP and U3 were released at
separate times, there were different versions of the Axis engine
production-ready).

>I still am experiencing a problem, however, in that when I try to browse to
>my pages, I get a 404 error.  For example,
>
>http://notaspamserver.com/cfmx/thisfileishere.cfm
>
>gives me a 404 error.  However, if I browse to, say,
>
>http://notaspamserver.com/thisfileishere.cfm
>
>I at least get the source code.
>
>This tells me that the Cold Fusion server is still experiencing problems.

Did you check to make sure that your context root is set to what you think
it is? Open the jrun-web.xml file under

{jrun_home}/servers/{server_name}/{instance_name}/WEB-INF

and make sure that the context root matches what you think it should be.

Also check the httpd.conf file under the LoadModule section and make sure
that paths are in there correctly. Also check that the permissions on the
modules are sufficient. I've found I've had the best success by installing
MX using the internal web server, starting up to make sure the MX install is
fine, and then configuring Apache afterwards (of course, after shutting down
the instance).

Maybe you've done all of the above, but hopefully some of those suggestions
will help you further debug your issues.

Regards,
Dave.

Host with the leader in ColdFusion hosting.
Voted #1 ColdFusion host by CF Developers.
Offering shared and dedicated hosting options.
www.cfxhosting.com/default.cfm?redirect=10481