Never mind the fact that I don't speak or read Chinese... I have to
build an app that does.  I've looked around and apparently this is a
requirement to get the pages to work right, although I'm not clear on
whether this is simplified or traditional Chinese:

(goes on every page)
<cfprocessingdirective pageencoding="GB2312">

(Goes in application.cfm)
<cfcontent type="text/html; charset=GB2312">
<cfset setEncoding("URL", "GB2312")>
<cfset setEncoding("Form", "GB2312")>

What about db inserts, updates and output?  Whats the Big5 charset and
is it relevant/better than GB2312?  Utf-8?  Or are they all
interchangeable?  Will some types of text fields not work with Chinese
chars (I've heard some oblique refs about how 'n' type fields are bad
but no specifics or workarounds).  I would want to run this on mySQL and
CFMX if possible.

Seems like this is a fairly simple task (in MX) where there is no single
set of start-finish instructions; or none that I've found yet at least.

Bah, if ingnorance is bliss I should be in Nirvana.

resources for the community.
http://www.fusionauthority.com/ads.cfm