Rafael, the pros and cons were debated a good bit last month here. Check out
the archives for several notes on 5/13-15 on the subject "CFML versus .NET"
and "Re: Support for CFML : Was Re: CFML versus .NET".

Of course, our website is chock full of resources to help layout those pros
and cons, and indeed the challenges (in the Compatibility Guide). We also
offer a BlueDragon-Interest list where both New Atlanta engineers and
customers discuss the product in a friendly, responsive environment.

As for MX features, again, the bulk of those are slated for our Release 4
version, later this year, though some will make it into 3.1, and indeed some
are there already. We offer the ability to do server-side redirects
(forwards), use J2EE sessions, run JSP pages alongside CFML templates (in
all but the free Server edition), and that JSP/servlet support extends to
forwarding/including between CFML and JSP/servlets as well as sharing
session, application, and request variables, and more).

Add to that our J2EE solution (allowing deployment on a J2EE server, rather
than install a standalone server) and our coming .NET solution (allowing
deployment on a .NET server, again rather than a standalone server, giving
all those same integration possibilities with .NET and also opening the door
to leverage .NET framework components, resources, and approaches), and the
point is that BlueDragon just fills in gaps for those who need them filled.

As for running the two alongside each other, sure you can. Installing BD
won't "overwrite" your CF installation at all (whether CF 4, 5, or MX). CF
and BlueDragon Server (and Server JX) are each standalone, independent
services. And just as with CFMX, you can choose to install BlueDragon with
its own web server (in which case you'd use port 8080 on your URLs by
default to run code in BlueDragon's webroot), in which case it has its own
webroot where you place your CFML templates.

Or you can integrate it with IIS, Apache, and more. (If not using the
built-in web server, the free edition is limited to IIS on Windows and
Apache on Linux.) In that case, your CFML templates would typically go in
the webroot of the web server (such as inetpub/wwwroot on IIS).

Of course, both CF (4, 5, and MX) and BlueDragon Server (and JX) will set
themselves as the default service for running .cfm templates on the given
web server if you do choose that web server integration. So if you already
use CF 5 with IIS, for instance, you wouldn't want to install BD and its IIS
adapter (just as you couldn't keep CF 5 and run CFMX via IIS). It is
possible to configure individual applications in IIS, for instance, to allow
different virtual directories to have .cfm templates processed different
ways. I'll be working up a whitepaper on that topic soon.

But other than that, no, the installation of BlueDragon should have no
impact on an existing CF 5 (or indeed MX) installation at all. Check it out.
With the free trial and developer edition (not to mention the Server edition
being free for deployment), it's easy to get started and see how things work
without impact on existing operations. It even automatically detects and
loads your CF datasources, making it even easier. Just copy your CF code
into the appropriate webroot and see how it goes.

Indeed, I plan another white paper on how to configure your environment to
allow different implementations of BlueDragon and CF to all point to the
same CFML code base in a single location, when one wants to do regression
testing against them all. Several customers do it already.

But again, our real goal is to help people solve the challenge when faced
with a migration to J2EE and .NET. With BlueDragon, we make CFML the only
language that offers native integration on these industry standard
platforms.

/charlie

resources for the community.
http://www.fusionauthority.com/ads.cfm