Dana Tierney wrote:
> So you are saying his resource is wrong about that?

I am convinced they can all be crashed by people with sufficient
priviledges and destructive tendencies.

> They all can be crashed?

Sure. Just do the math on the following query for a 100 row table:

SELECT * FROM table a, table b, table c, table d, table e ORDER BY a.id

Sorting 10 bilion rows requires more space as is available on most
systems. Some databases handling this particularly bad can crash
irrecoverably from this. Others will just run out of space and stop and
roll back on restart.
Others, mainly the big 3 if configured correctly, might not even crash
in the sense that they start returning the wrong results or stop
returning results completely, but they will slow down in such away that
the data is inaccessible.

Other options include keeping transactions open forever and stowing more
and more updates in them until the transaction log runs out of space,
defining a function that does nothing but call itself etc.

> By normal user I am taking it we mean someone with write access?

If you have UPDATE or DELETE, you can just delete or overwrite the data,
no need to crash anything.

The real question is, why would you give somebody you don't trust access
to your data in the first place?

Jochem

Host with the leader in ColdFusion hosting.
Voted #1 ColdFusion host by CF Developers.
Offering shared and dedicated hosting options.
www.cfxhosting.com/default.cfm?redirect=10481