Hi Michael,

I have alot to say about this.  I too am using Post.Office 3.5x (isn't that
what you use?) and have run into this same problem.  I have a mailing list
that I keep an archive for.  I used a Post.Office account to just "collect"
the messages just like you.  By the time I got around to downloading and
databasing them, the account had thousands of messages in it.   The main
problem that I found absolutely no way of getting around (programmatically)
was that NEITHER Cold Fusion CF_POP or CFX_iiPOP3 could seem to DELETE a
message from the server once it was read--this is a BIG problem :-).

What I actually wound up doing was setting up a temporary account on
Post.Office, then I just went to the server and manually transfered about
600 messages at a time by copying & deleting the individual mail files from
their original location to the IN folder for the new account.  Next I
"processed those files" with a Cold Fusion template that would download and
database from the temporary account.  Finally, I would delete the 600
messages from the temporary account and then start over.  Needless to say,
this did not make me happy.

Six hundered messages seemed to be optimum.  I discovered this by trying to
grab between 100 and 1000 messages at a time until I came up with a number
that seemed to work best.  Once I got the number of waiting messages down to
something reasonable, I just set up a scheduled task that frequently checked
this account.  The only time I really have problems is when there are more
than 100 messages waiting, so I just don't let that happen now.

I should note that the mail server machine I'm using is only a Pentium 100,
so this could be partly responsible for my troubles.

Hope this helps,

Eron