From: Jim Davis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 9:27 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: BLOBs and CF

The biggest one to me is the simple fact that all data is maintained in the
same place.  Back up the DB and you've got everything.  Make the DB
accessible to a client and they've got everything.  Multiple client apps can
access all information via the same methods.

> What are the Pros and Cons of storing files in the file system with the
> names stored in the DB?

Well - it can be easier.  It does also reduce the stress on the DB server.

You can also do a hybrid approach: keep the data in the DB for integrity
reasons but also cache the files on the web server file system for speed.

Jim Davis

Host with the leader in ColdFusion hosting.
Voted #1 ColdFusion host by CF Developers.
Offering shared and dedicated hosting options.
www.cfxhosting.com/default.cfm?redirect=10481