> > Ah yes, but Graphical Information Systems are just that - Information
> > Systems.
>
> the "G" is for geographical.

Sorry yes - that's what I meant.

> > Given that a large percentage of what GIS systems do is interprete and
> > extrapolate pure numbers I should hope that this is stored in a
database.

> no, as a matter of historical fact they were not. most were (and some
still
> are) file based 3-5 years ago--we GIS practioners love our topology. we
gave
> it up for a while just to get decent database engine based databases.

Yeah I know... I had to deal with one briefly about 5 years ago....
~shudder~
Which is why I said "hope" ;o)

> > ;o)   Images created from that extrapolated data or interpreted data
> placed
> > over an image is only the very top layer of what a GIS does.  The User
> > Interface if you will, not the entire application layer.
>
> nonsense.  we're storing vector data in databases these days. arcSDE for
> example comes with a couple of sql API for manipulating data in the db,
> performing spatial searches, etc. i do this for a living.

Vector data is just that vector _data_....  A bunch of points that you join
together to draw a picture, he says simplifying it horribly.
The APIs are there to simplify the calculations that the database has to do
for the developer/end-user.

Stephen

Host with the leader in ColdFusion hosting.
Voted #1 ColdFusion host by CF Developers.
Offering shared and dedicated hosting options.
www.cfxhosting.com/default.cfm?redirect=10481