> I think this is wrong:
>
> <BS>
> Cookies cannot be read from a different domain than where
> they are set.
>
> This is a security precaution built into the cookie specification.
> </BS>
>
> Allaire's documentation for the CFCOOKIE tag says:
> =============
> DOMAIN
> Specifies the domain for which the cookie is valid and to which the
> cookie content can be sent. An explicitly specified domain must always
> start with a dot. This can be a subdomain, in which case the valid
> domains will be any domain names ending in this string.
>
> For domain names ending in country codes (such as .jp, .us), the
> subdomain specification must contain at least three periods, for
> example, .mongo.stateu.us. In the case of special top level domains,
> only two periods are needed, as in .allaire.com.
>
> When specifying a PATH value, you must include a valid DOMAIN.
>
> Separate multiple entries with a semicolon ( ; ).
> ==============
>
> This would indicate that multiple domains, separated by
> semicolons, will enable the cookie to be read at each domain
> specified.

Well, it's good to see someone with a skeptical attitude, but before you
label it BS on the basis of Allaire's relatively terse documentation, did
you try it with separate domains?

I did, and it didn't work. It set it for the first domain, but not for the
second. I suspect the Allaire documentation is referring to subdomains, and
it would make sense that you could set cookies that apply across some but
not all subdomains within a larger domain.

In any case, CF doesn't control how the browser uses cookies. You could
write CF code all day long to set a cookie for another domain, but that
doesn't mean that the browser will obey that code if the browser has been
designed to follow the cookie specification. When I tried just setting a
cookie for another domain, CFCOOKIE threw an error:

"Error Occurred While Processing Request
Error Diagnostic Information
Error attempting to set a cookie value with CFCOOKIE.
Invalid CFCOOKIE DOMAIN attribute"

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496