Blimey, when I read your run-down here I realize I know next to bugger all about what
Tapestry can do.

How do we get these things out of your head and in a format that people can read and
understand?

Kind Regards - Mike Brunt
If you include labor costs for custom scripting required to deliver a "complete
solution", free cm tools or frameworks like Spectra or FarCry can easily cost more
than SparkPlug (which is pretty darn cheap)... I've looked at SparkPlug and I'd say
that its inexpensive price really doesn't have anything to do with a usability
sacrifice. It's just not a very robust tool.

For instance: SparkPlug allows you to publish to "static" or "dynamic" pages which
then have either an htm or cfm extension, whereas Tapestry allows you to designate a
file extension which can be whatever you need/want and it can have layered defaults
starting with the individual page and moving back to the default for the custom
content type and finally being the default for the site and if the site has no default
extension it defaults to "cfm".

That's one example. SparkPlug also doesn't deal with content in "discrete pieces" of
information, i.e. "header", "left-nav", management of individual links, etc... It
wouldn't let you reuse a link on several different pages and have the data (the url)
for that link all drawn from the same place in the database so as to eliminate
duplicated data which might become orphaned during an update (so that the update is
incomplete and leaves broken links on the site). And since it doesn't deal in discrete
pieces of information, it can't offer custom content types, the way that Spectra and
Tapestry do with their classes and objects and the way FarCry does with CFC's (also
Classes and objects but with a different name).

In favor of SparkPlug (yes, I'll actually offer a reason why you would want to use a
competitor of mine :) it is rather inexpensive not just up-front (FarCry and Spectra
are less expensive up-front than SparkPlug) but also in Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
If all you need to do is have an easy way to put some content up onto a web site with
some uniform layouts and have the ability to still use cfincludes and other custom cf
scripting in those pages, SparkPlug may be one of the fastest, easiest, cheapest ways
to accomplish that, without rolling your own cm tool.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a robust cm tool which will allow a large
group of different users with different skills and responsibilities to all contribute
to a web site with custom tools for each set of users, object-oriented reuse of
discrete content packets and separation of content from format (management of
individual links for instance), then you probably need to either roll your own cm
solution (which imho includes Spectra and FarCry) or try and find a way to increase
the budget beyond what's available at the SparkPlug range to something more robust
like Tapestry.

s. isaac dealey                972-490-6624

new epoch                      http://www.turnkey.to

lead architect, tapestry cms   http://products.turnkey.to

tapestry api is opensource     http://www.turnkey.to/tapi

certified advanced coldfusion 5 developer
http://www.macromedia.com/v1/handlers/index.cfm?ID=21816

> cant really get much lower cost that free...

> i.e. Spectra & FarCry

resources for the community.
http://www.fusionauthority.com/ads.cfm