On Wednesday, July 9, 2003, at 05:16 PM, Rich Z wrote:

> "Java is a high-performance language. Java with JSP (similar to
> ColdFusion for presentation) is over 10 times faster than using
> ColdFusion...."

Dave Watts has already done an excellent job addressing this statement,
but I'd like to offer my opinion, as well.  Generally speaking, I think
this statement makes very little sense.  How would you even go about
comparing JSP to ColdFusion?  When you run a ColdFusion tag, you are
running a great deal of encapsulated functionality which does not exist
in JSP.  You cannot compare a JSP expression or declaration tag to a
ColdFusion query or cfparam tag.  The languages simply are not
equivalent enough that statements like these can be creditable, at
least not without a lot more context.  I have seen JSP applications
that don't perform nearly as well as a well written ColdFusion
equivalent application would perform, however that is certainly not
because JSP is slow.  There are far too many implementation details
involved in both a JSP and ColdFusion applications to make general
comments like this.

Christian

http://www.coolfusion.com