> Any other benefit to J2EE session variables on CFMX versions
> other than CFMX for J2EE?

Yes, if you want to integrate your CFMX code with servlets and JSP pages on
the same machine. You can do this with the standalone CFMX Enterprise
product. You don't need CFMX for J2EE for that. You do need it for more
extensive use of J2EE, though.

> I keep hearing knowledgable MM-related folks pressing
> the benefits of the more expensive CFMX for J2EE ...

It's not necessarily significantly more expensive. You pay a per-processor
license for CFMX for J2EE, and on a single-processor box, the cost for CFMX
for J2EE plus JRun is roughly about the same as CFMX Enterprise, if I recall
correctly.

I have a theory about their product differentiation, though. I've heard from
more than one MM person that they're surprised that CFMX for J2EE hasn't
been more popular, given its advantages over CFMX Enterprise, but I think
that initially, at least, MM's customers were put off by the fear of
complexity with installing and managing two products instead of one. My
theory is that this fear will decrease over time, and that CFMX for J2EE
will become more popular than CFMX Enterprise, to the point that in the
future, there may be no demand for CFMX Enterprise. Further, I think that
would suit MM fine, in the long run, since JRun is essentially a commodity.

> ... and it leaves me wondering if going the route of
> the "normal" versions of CFMX has been a mistake in some
> way.

For most uses, I suspect it doesn't make much difference.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444