The repeat submitter could easily just be trying to teach you a lesson.

I usually set a cookie and leave it at that.

Please note that the cookie contains the unique survey key. You don't want
the end user being blocked from future surveys you carry out (or should you
reset the results of the current survey).

If they do decide to empy their cookies not much you can do. If they are
blocking cookies just stop them from taking the survey. Well that's what I
do anyway.

If you force a login/register process, well you won't get many participants
in the survey.

resources for the community.
http://www.fusionauthority.com/ads.cfm