Thanks for the insight. Very helpful.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean A Corfield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 3:46 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: CFC's and how they work.

On Thursday, Jul 24, 2003, at 10:07 US/Pacific, Rich Z wrote:
> I've got a box here at work and it has CFC that is going to get pretty
> hard. I'm a bit wary of scalability, which leads me to a few
questions:

macromedia.com is very CFC-heavy and supports over 15,000 concurrent
active sessions during peak morning load so, yes, it can scale.

> 1.    What does CFMX do about caching CFC's? Does it cache them? Does
> it cache them along with parameters?

Each CFC and each method within a CFC is converted to a Java class
file, just like each CFM file, and that compiled class file is loaded
(and cached in memory).

As Ray said, the lifetime of each CFC instance is whatever you tell it
to be, i.e., depending on how you use and store it.

> 2.    Let's assume a CFC method requires 3 seconds for output in
> testing. Once in production, let's assume that load is significant
> enough such that the CFC will be invoked every second. Will the
> invocation have to wait for the CFC to finish processing the previous
> one? I guess another question I'm asking is - do CFC's support
> multi-threading?

This is no different to having any CFM page that takes three seconds
and still being able to support many concurrent users.

> 3.    If they don't, is there something I can tweak/change/do to make
> them better handle near-simultaneous requests?

It depends on how you are trying to use CFCs. If you have stateless
CFCs, you can create a single cached issue in application scope and use
that instance for all your cfinvoke's. If you have stateful CFCs, you
need to manage their lifetimes according to whatever rules the state
has - it may be per page, per request, per session.

Sean A Corfield -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

-- Margaret Atwood

ColdFusion and related topics.