> What is a good indication that you need to move beyond
> Access??

When your site stops working reliably, that's a good sign.

I'm not a big fan of Access, but many people do use it successfully for
smaller sites, and if it's working for you then there's no immediate need to
migrate to something else.

If you're using Client variables, or have very volatile data with lots of
deletions, you're more likely to bump into performance problems with Access,
as it doesn't reuse acquired storage space well after deleting records. Once
I encountered a situation where Client variables were being stored in
Access; after some time, the Access database was near 2 Gb and had about a
hundred records in it.

If you have lots of concurrent users, you're more likely to bump into
concurrency problems with Access, because of how Access locks records.

On the other hand, if you're primarily using Access to store data for
reporting purposes, and your site is more "content" than "application", you
might find Access serves you well, even with relatively large datasets. I'm
sending this message through an MS Exchange 5.5 server, which is essentially
one big Access database, more or less.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496