I recently released such a system integrated into my medical record
management system. The question you need to ask is whether or not you
want fancy features like 'ocr' or document recognition capabilities.
When buying a package like xerox offers you will probably get those
features built in (hence the price). But if you need to collect images
and link them to other database records, that is relatively simple. The
way I am doing it is to scan images into a folder whose location is
known to the system when the user interfaces with it. The images are
then displayed as thumbnails and there are different options to quickly
catalogue them. Of course you can click on the image and then view the
full size. After your options are selected you 'upload' them into the
system. At this point the system copies the images from their original
scan folder and places them in the main file system where they will
permanently reside. The images are renamed with uuid's and other things
and then its location is stored in the database.

Now this is all simple and good, but I still want more. Getting back to
the ocr and recognition features... Once you have the images scanned in
and living as files, you could feed them into other 3rd party
applications that can then build , say , a text index of the scanned
image or maybe auto categorize the image based on barcodes or other
unique markings. An interesting  ocr package I have come across is clara
ocr. It is gpl'd and has a command line interface as well as a gui. I am
looking into integrating that into the system.

Ultimately I'll get around to taking this code and turning it into a
generic system (decoupled from patient related stuff) and use it to keep
track of all my monthly statements. Then I could really get some use of
my shredder.

Gl,
alex