I'm on digest mode so I might be behind in replying, but I hope I can help
on the mach-ii install issues

You're not tied at all when it comes to the placement of files. Though when
you first open the box it might not appear so, . everything out of the
framework is configureable.

If you're wanting the quickest install, . the one hal has done is by far the
easiest.
webroot\
--machii
--contactmanager
--shoppingcart
--roulette

It doesn't require any changes.
If you're wanting the framework itself (excluding the demo apps) outside of
the webroot, or nested within another directory a machii mapping is all that
it needs to function.

if you want all of the demo applications and machii under one "testsite"

wwwroot (or whatever root your using)\
--testsite
-----machii
-----contactmanager
-----roullette
-----shoppingcart

then you'll have to configure the xml file for *each* demoapplication.

To change your directory notation in the xmlfile.
<property name="applicationRoot" value="/ContactManager" /> will become
<property name="applicationRoot" value="../ContactManager" />

and all 'types' (listners event-filter) eg.
ContactManager.model.ContactManager will become
testsite.ContactManager.model.ContactManager

Note : testsite can represent more than one directory. If you have
testsite\
--examplecode\
-----contactmanager
then the type would be
testsite.examplecode.ContactManager.model.ContactManager and the application
root would be
<property name="applicationRoot" value="../../ContactManager" /> since it's
directory is two levels down.

Both of the above require a mapping to the machii folder. Keep in mind if
you've already tried to run the application you'll have to go to the
mach-ii.cfm and change the MACHII_CONFIG_MODE to 1 to force a reload. Also,
if you're getting an error on reading the xml file. the mach-ii.cfm page is
where to look, just set the expandpath() to the actual location of that
config file. (each demo has it's own config file in the config directory.)

Since directory notation is hardcoded in the model of the demo
applications,. there will probably need to be a change to set the path of
the component (find and replace the dir seems the easiest way around it)

Or you can just create a  mapping to shoppingcart, contactmanager, roullete.

again, Hals is defiently easier, but there isn't any true limitation on
where you're putting the files

Hope that helps
Robby

resent with the right subject, .. (sigh...)

resources for the community.
http://www.fusionauthority.com/ads.cfm