Brian,

>I would be interested in hearing opinions on some good CF-based CMSs.
>I need to develop a short list so that I can evaluate a few systems.

I couldn't help weighing in with some real information about FarCry.  It's open source
so this is strictly not a sales pitch -- just some healthy evangelising.

>Here are my requirements:
>Permissions
>Workflow
>Images and documents stored in Database, but are published to website.

Permissions, oh yes -- great security model (LDAP, JDBC/ODBC, ActiveDirectory/NT
Domain or all at once), use the roles that come with the solution or define your own.
Restrict publishing to one branch or other of the site and more.

Workflow -- yes. Plus versioning, archiving and rollback.

Images in the db?  No.  we store an object for each image with captions, and other
metadata but the image itself is on the file system.

>Static pages that can be stored in Database - allow versioning.
>DB should act as a STORAGE mechanism and NOT DYNAMIC, in most cases
>(This is not how the existing system works).

Not sure what you mean by this. FarCry will serve dynamically from the db or you can
activate caching which will effectively prevent this.  But its not generating flat
HTML files.

>Oracle 8i/9i - DB maintenance available OUTSIDE of system (Isn't this
>an issue with NQCONTENT?)

We support Oracle -- though our installer doesn't install to Oracle you need to import
the schema.  This should be added soon (open source effort -- you might lend a hand :)

>CF5 preferred; CFMX Enterprise possible (we'd have to upgrade; there
>may be COM object issues if we do)

Sorry.  CFMX only.  It's all CFC based.

>EASY TO USE for the USERS!!!  (CMS users have to be able to use the
>admin, not fight with it every time they want to do something.)

Yep.  Plus there is a great thumping user guide and admin guide you can print out.
http://farcry.daemon.com.au/go/users

>Uses stylesheets
>I should be able to make CMS and site interface changes, if needed.

Hell even have a Breeze presentation on this for FarCry!
http://daemoninternet.mmalliance.breezecentral.com/p99348887/

>Simple URLs!!!!!  - e.g. http://www.easynavigate.com/section/page.cfm
>(our current CMS does not do this and that is the single biggest
>complaint from the executives)

Oh yep.  We have the FriendlyURL servlet integrated as an optional plug-in you just
turn it on.  Works magic in Google.

>RELATIVELY EASY TO GET UP AND RUNNING
>Relatively easy to customize, if necessary

I think the record installation time is within 3minutes.  Sometimes we get bored and
race each other :)

>I can elaborate more if needed.

Join our busy, busy developers lists:

>Here are a list of CF-based systems that I know of...
>FarCry - Open Source - inspired by Spectra (CFMX based - more of a
>framework than a finished system?)

Inspired by Spectra.  Not sure I'd say that.  We have a similar COAPI approach to the
treatment of content.  But I like to think peoples experience will be a little more
exciting.

Yep.  It is a totally finished system.  It works straight out of the box.  You can
demo the product here (as long as some enterprising person hasn't broken it -- if so,
should reset in a couple of hours):
http://demo.daemon.com.au/

Yes it is a framework within which you can build and extend -- BUT I stress again, you
don't need to do anything to it to get it humming along.  In fact first thing people
want to do is just change the look and feel.

>Spectra - Allaire/Macromedia, now Open Source (framework)

Um sort of.  Has anyone actually seen the source?

>There may be others I don't know of...
>Are there any open source CMSs that are CF-based that are ready to go,
>out of the box?  For something like FarCry, how quickly can it be
>configured so that an existing CMS can be converted, users,
>permissions, workflow and content?

Real quick is the answer.  But don't take my word for it.  Join the developers list
and ask the growing host of folks out there launching new websites.

-- geoff
http://farcry.daemon.com.au/

ColdFusion and related topics.