From: Benjamin S. Rogers [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 9:53 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ODBC/SQL Server Errors

We're experiencing a fairly difficult to troubleshoot SQL issue using
ColdFusion 4.01/SQL Server 6.5 (w/ whatever the latest service pack is).

Almost all UPDATE and INSERT statements started generating "37000 (Syntax
error or access violation)" messages when executing queries involving
VARCHAR fields, though not INTEGER IDENTITY fields. In other words, if I add
a row with a mess of NULL values, the query executes.

When I copy and paste the SQL statements into Enterprise Manager, it spits
out:

Msg 7134, Level 16, State 2
Command has been aborted.

The ODBC error is too general to be of any use; the SQL Server error barely
appears in the MSKB, and when it does, it's only in inapplicable situations
that seem to have been solved by some early service pack. I've stopped and
started the services, booted, and run all appropriate DBCC commands against
the database.

As far as I know, nothing has changed (famous last words). In fact, I was
sitting at my workstation by the servers on Saturday surfing the site the
server in question when errors first started appearing.

I've already spent my weekend on this one. If anybody can spare my week, it
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Benjamin S. Rogers
Web Developer, c4.net