Bryan -

I am getting in a little late on all this, but there is a true
enterprise class open source database you might want to take a look at
called SAPDB.

http://www.sapdb.org/

Supports stored procedures, triggers, transactions, views, etc. and it
is blazingly fast. I have been using it for more than a year with no
issues. We are moving things from Oracle over to SAP left and right.

It is definitely not as popular as mysql, and I have heard a lot of
people complain about the UI. Granted, the database could be a lot more
user friendly, but I think it is no more / less confusing than Oracle on
a linux box.