Issac more or less covered why im using wddx. Because its so simple.
You can with with one statement, convert a struct to wddx, and wddx to a struct. You
cant get any easier than that.

The reasion i chose to store attributes in this manor was for flexibilty and
expandability. This is for an inventory system. Currently we have 30+ customers, all
who have similiar, and different fields for their product data. And as i said, if i
had it all in one field, well that would be a table with 50+ columns. And i also
wanted to give the option for the administrators of the app to add new fields and etc.
Well if i let them add new fields, and i created new DB columns every time, that would
just be a DB disaster.
The wddx method worked fine, with little performance issues, i did a test with 1000+
items in the DB, and outputed them all at once, there wasnt much of a load. But as you
pointed out, it has its limitations.

Im working on something with the best of both worlds i think. I basically made a
"product_attributes" table that links to the product table. All the attribtues can go
there. Its not what i originally wanted to do, but im meeting myself in the middle
here. hah