> Instead I want to store the data as XML in a text field. Pretty simple
> right?
>
> I format the data using cfwddx. This way I can easily format the data as
it
> comes in and out of the database. It works great.
>
> But now I ran into a problem. What if I want to search by model? Say I
want
> all the items in the database that are model "XYZ". Well the only option I
> have it to search the xml text field for XYZ, but then I "could" get
double
> the number of fields I want if any other xml data has "XYZ" in it.

As you already discovered, it's not so simple after all...
Storing structured XML data as blogs inside a RDMS isn't necessarely a great
idea...

> Does anyone know of a good solution to this? Is there a way to search the
> specific xml fields while its still in the database? I've looked into the
> Microsoft OpenXML, but that seems overly complex.

You may check some native XML database, like Tamino or Xindice but,
sincerely I never used them, only read something

Massimo Foti
Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer
Certified Advanced ColdFusion MX Developer
http://www.massimocorner.com/