Fortunately at the sub-atomic level, my CF code has no bugs at all ;-)

Michael Traher
Systems Manager

-----Original Message-----
From: John Paul Ashenfelter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 05 September 2003 15:52
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle [WAS Re: machII(too much)]

> I think that the concepts are different.  The questions concerns what
> it's called when you change the environment, the Heisenberg
uncertainty
> principle says that you MUST change your environment (specifically the
> thing being tested).
>
> Or am I just being too damn pedantic in the morning?  ;^)
>
> Jim Davis

Actually, that's not what the Heisenberg Uncertainly Principle (HUP)
says at
all. Since it's hard put equations and Greek letters in an email, we'll
settle for text. The HUP simply says that if you've got two conjugate
variables (specifically either momentum and position OR energy and time)
of
a particle (specifically an electron), increasing precision in the
measurement of one leads to a less precise measurement of the other. No
more, no less.

A good quote from the American Institute of Physis site:

"it [the HUP] tells us very exactly where the limits of uncertainty lie
when
we make measurements of sub-atomic events"

which turns out to be delta[conjugate1]*delta[conjugate2]>=h/4pi (h
being
Planck's constant -- a really, really, really small number".

Having spent 3 years in graduate quantum physics classes and having had
use the HUP to solve problems/calculate
results/beat-myself-silly-with-math
I'm pretty particular about how it's used to.

Good discussion is at http://www.aip.org/history/heisenberg/p08a.htm and
related links.

Regards,

John Paul Ashenfelter