I offered a solution doing just that in an article in the Feb 2002 CFDJ
called "Unlocking Restricted Use of CFFILE, CFCONTENT, and More", available
at http://www.sys-con.com/coldfusion/article.cfm?id=404.  It addresses how
to solve this problem in CF 5.

Before anyone sees that title and think I'm suggesting how to circumvent
security, please read the article. I'm showing how (as is suggested in the
notes below) one could implement a way to get around simple CFFILE security
in a controlled way in conjunction with the CF Admin. It's just a very
underrated CF5 feature (the "unsecured tags directory") that I point out.

And for the later notes pointing up Sandbox Security and the potential to
solve this problem that way, I'll add as well that I wrote a couple of
articles on the subject late last year, at:

        ColdFusion Security, Part One: Understanding Sandbox/Resource
Security
        http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/security/articles/sandbox_01.html

        ColdFusion Security, Part Two: Sandbox/Resource Basics
        http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/security/articles/sandbox_02.html

/charlie