> But some does - and most folks do expect (as they can in
> their word processors) to, at the very least, bold, italicize
> and underline (things we mimic badly in email with
> _underlining_ and BOLDING).

I've never found a need to do this, in all the mail I've sent.

> In our situation the ability to set font families (monotype,
> for example) would be very nice to offset code examples.
>
> I agree that it's sometimes taken to an ugly extreme (part of
> my understanding that 99% of everything is crap) but it
> definitely is useful to have some control over formatting -
> and HTML (specifically using style sheets) is a very nice way
> of doing that in text only environments.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to format code, but not being able to do so
is a small price to pay to avoid all the other HTML mail garbage. For a
mailing list, especially, the annoyance of HTML mail becomes very high, very
quickly.

> It's never a useful argument to say "I don't see a need for a
> thing so it's not needed".  ;^)  At the very least in a world
> of universal HTML mail you could set a personal style sheet
> that stripped all formatting if that's what you liked.

I'd prefer not to waste CPU cycles on that, actually. I spend enough time
dealing with email as it is - I don't want to have to wait for my computer
to preprocess each message. I'm using Outlook 2002 (I know, I know, it
sucks, but I'm very happy with it), and it takes noticeably longer for my
machine to render HTML mail. I also have my machine configured to ignore
requests for images in HTML mail, so I just see empty boxes where they'd be
anyway. For one or two messages, it's no big deal, but for several hundred,
it becomes very annoying.

Again, I'm not advocating that no one use HTML mail. I am asking that I not
be forced to read it on a high-traffic mailing list.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444