From: Shannon Rhodes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 10:45 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Design Structure and cfinclude

We all know that cfinclude is perfect for design headers and footers, but
now that I'm actually redesigning my site to take advantage of this, I'm
running into some perplexing problems.  (Please don't suggest FuseBox,
that's way overkill for this site and I don't have the time for it).

My initial thought was: set up an Application.cfm and OnRequestEnd.cfm in
each major section, which would call a header/footer for that section.  I
would be able to pass a url variable to request a print-friendly version
instead, or to request no display at all (for action only templates).
Global variables would be cfparam'ed, and one page title and set of meta
tags would be defined per section.  Voila, new pages can be content-only
without even a cfinclude line---everything would be called by the section's
Application.cfm.

As I'm getting into this, I'm finding that I don't like the loss of
page-specific flexibility.  I'm told that dynamically generated meta tags
often are missed by search engines, for example, and I don't have a way to
override the standard section page title for pages that really ought to have
their own title.  I'm also stuck with defining all CSS and JS in one long
file, even if some style definitions and JS functions are only needed on one
page, because I've made the header of my document standardized.  Seems to me
I'm adding all kinds of unnecessary download time.  Plus, my "section
specific Application.cfm" idea kind of forces me to model my directories
after my site navigation, when I'd actually prefer to avoid a lot of third
level directories and keep pages logically grouped instead (after all,
navigation sometimes changes over time anyway, but who wants to move
directories around).

I think I need a balance between letting CF templates "do it all" for me,
and the tedious work of writing in each page information that is probably
the same 80% of the time in a given section.

Can anyone suggest a "best practices" approach to using cfinclude for design
elements?  Should I hard code in most of the head area of documents, so I
can put in page-level titles, meta tags, and page-specific styles &
JavaScript, followed by a cfinclude containing the remainder of the head
with links to the master style sheet, and any design code that will not
change, followed by another include for section-specific design images?  Any
suggestions are appreciated!