> Imagine me saying to my boss:
> "Hay, check out this bril new bit of thing we can use"
> "That's nice, what's the URL and I'll look at it on my desk"
> "w-w-w-.-montara-software-.com-/-go-/-9-d-5-8-a-5-9-e---d-...
> "Stop there, I'm too busy".

I completely agree with you, the URLs that I used in my email to the
list are not the kind that you could share orally or even remember.
However, I don't expect the above scenario to play out like that. I
would more expect you to forward the email to your boss and thus the
link would be in the email for easy clicking.

> I mean, that URL is going to look bad in just about everywhere you use
> it,
> isn't it ?

Just to be clear, we have didn't URL formats that lead to the same page
and make use of those different formats for different reasons. In the
case of UUID-based URLs, we use those for public communication in email
and HTML since those URLs will never break no matter how we reorganize
the site. In this case of an advertisement or some other format where
we expect people to remember the URL, we would use a different format
entirely.

Matt Liotta
President & CEO
Montara Software, Inc.