From: Ubqtous [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 7:51 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Odd Netscape/CFMX/IIS5 problem

Dirk,

On 10/2/2003 at 10:35, you wrote:

DS> I'm wondering if anyone's run into this before.  We recently
upgraded
DS> one of our servers from NT4/CF 4.5 to Windows 2k/CF MX.  One
of the
DS> applications running on the server uses a dynamically
generated menu -
DS> lots of _javascript_.  Everything seemed to be running fine -
until one of
DS> our clients, who's still running Netscape 4.61 (yes, I know
- but we
DS> can't do anything about it) reported some weird behaviour.
It seems now
DS> that most of the time, all the text on the page is showing
up as small,
DS> hollow rectangles.

DS> The text is actually still there - if you re-size the
browser window,
DS> it'll show as regular text again... for a while.  If you
flip to another
DS> window, & then flip back, it'll once again redraw as little
rectangles.
DS> If you copy & paste the 'rectangles' into something else, it
shows up as
DS> the correct text.  The links still work, etc - you just
can't tell what
DS> anything says.  I'll be happy to provide screen shots upon
request. :)

Are you using CSS to format the links? I've run into display
issues
with older NN versions as well, specifically when using border
formatting on buttons or form fields--buttons still appear
without
formatting, but have a rectangle below them; form fields tend to
disappear and get ignored by the form processor (though they are
in
the browser source).

If CSS is the culprit, I would say that the work around is to
either
dumb down your CSS, or uses a browser sniffer and serve up
different
style sheets accordingly.

~ Ubqtous ~

  _____