  From: Michael Dinowitz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 4:52 PM
  To: CF-Talk
  Subject: security flaw in web services

  It looks to me like there's a problem with web services, specifically the
ones
  that allow logins. Basically, a username/password is sent to the service and
it
  responds with data if the person is a valid user. What stops someone from
using
  the web service again and again to test a un/pw until they get the right
one?
  Maybe the answer is obvious and I don't see it.

  checking amount of attempts per IP - ip can be forged
  checking amount of attempts per UN - scheduled attempt or multiple UN tries
  hidden communications key in stream - can be 'seen' (combined with SSL might
  work)
  --
  Michael Dinowitz
  Finding technical solutions to the problems you didn't know you had yet