Don't do anything until you are contacted by his lawyer, at which point you can decide whether it's worth it.  He doesn't want to accrue lawyer fees as more than likely it'll cost him more to pursue you than it would to work out a deal.  Check over your old emails and make sure you wrote nothing that could be misconstrued as ownership on his side. If it's only a verbal agreement then you are looking good .. just be sure not to write or tell him anything you'll be sorry about later.

Oh, and watch Judge Judy :).
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Cedric Villat
  To: CF-Talk
  Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 2:17 PM
  Subject: Re: Legal?

  Well, the domain name HE owns. He has since transferred it to a different
  host. The website I designed was actually online for a while, but he didn't
  pay the host so he was canceled. So all that I did was design the site, for
  free, provided I run the site. He is now threatening to sue me, but who
  knows. Any ideas? Should I contact a lawyer?

  Cedric