In generla, the login code looks correctly (btw, you really don't need
all those locks) - one question for you - what happens if you do NOT
check for isdefined('cflogin') and instead check form.whatever, whatever
being the form fields you are using (I'm assuming j_username and
j_password). You would also need to change the use of cflogin.name to
form.whatever. In the past, I've seen issues w/ caching of the cflogin
scope, so I stay away from it.

Also, I'd add debug messages. You say your roles don't change, but are
you sure it's not your query returning the wrong results?