1) Can't you just require a date be entered for the form to go through?
2) If not, why not create a bogus/dummy date and insert that? Some date
faaaaar into the future or way in the past that will never get entered in
normal usage... in that way you could do queries looking for said date to
pull up records that users haven't entered legit dates on...