Thanks very much everyone.  I discovered that my routine for assessing the ID value needed an AND instead of an OR, so my empty string was sneaking through the "if" barricade.  It seems temporarily subdued, so I'll let sleeping dogs lie.  If it poses a problem again, I'll be sure to let you all know.

-Sam
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Cameron Childress
  To: CF-Talk
  Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 3:46 PM
  Subject: RE: value "" cannot convert to number

  You've not included what you think the value of "ID" is, but if it's "" (an
  empty string as the error indicates), then val() will return a zero - as it
  does with any non-numeric value.  Also, if it's an empty string, your math
  operations *should* fail with the error you are giving as it's not a number
  and math cannot be performed on it!

  ID should be a number if you are planning on doing any math to it.

  -Cameron

  Cameron Childress
  Sumo Consulting Inc.
  ---