Tom Nunamaker wrote:
>This is an interesting summary of ssl providers:
>http://www.sslreview.com/content/table/index.html

Interesting, and false.

Both Comodo and Geotrust maintain phony 'independent' ssl 'choice' sites.  sslreview.com changed its name (I forget what it used to be) fairly recently.  The former domain records showed an ownership by... guess who?  Geotrust.

The slant is pretty obvious without the smoking gun of a domain record.  Anyone who uses instantssl certs knows the sslreview claims of Comodo using the old Baltimore root are false.  Comodo has used the Equifax root for quite some time now.  And reading thru the site, notice how EVERY other provider gets some sort of a black eye except one?  3 guesses which one comes out clean.

Comodo's bogus review site is at http://www.whichssl.com/.  Notice how that supposedly independent site spends a lot of time bashing Geotrust.  Go figure.

Geotrust fibs about Comodo's root; Comodo overblows Geotrust's (statistically bad) ubiquity, among other things.  Neither player is a saint.  One alternative is Verisign, who we all know is an upstanding bulwark of ethics in this industry.

;-)