  From: Dave Watts
  To: CF-Talk
  Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 10:50 AM
  Subject: RE: CF & pda types of devices

  > Speaking of this, I am going to be testing
  > the Treo 600 combination PDA, Phone device.
  >
  > What would be the best direction for developing
  > a CFMX based application for this device?
  > CFMX, Flash ? WAP?
  >
  > I would be interested in having our remote sales team
  > fill some forms from the road. Currently, they do this
  > through the web browser on their laptops. I am trying to
  > possible replace or supplement the laptops for the form
  > filling.

  If you can count on reliable network connectivity any time (which you should
  be able to do with a Treo, since it's a phone), I'd recommend that you look
  at an HTML-based solution. I'm pretty sure that the devices will have some
  sort of HTML client, but even if they don't you should be able to provide
  one.

  Flash probably won't work for you since the Flash player may not be
  available on the Treo, and even if it is, it'll probably be a version
  behind. Flash Player 6 is available for Pocket PC devices, but I think you
  have to have PalmOS 5 to get any Flash player for the Palm. I'm not 100%
  sure about which versions are available for which platforms, though.
  According to this, you're out of luck:

  http://www.macromedia.com/software/devices/supported/

  If you can't count on reliable network connectivity, and you need a solution
  which will allow the user to capture data while offline, you'll probably
  need to write a native Palm application. If you know VB, you might take a
  look at AppForge:

  http://www.appforge.com/

  You'd then have to handle synchronization with servers from your
  application, but you might be able to do this nicely through web services (I
  don't know how well this would work, but it does work nicely on Pocket PC
  using .NET Compact Framework).

  Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
  http://www.figleaf.com/
  phone: 202-797-5496