From: Mike Kear [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 2:21 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: CF Hosting installing CFX tags

A hosting company that doesn't consider adding CFX tags for a client
doesn't
really understand ColdFusion, and I'd wonder whether they're serious
about
supporting it.

There are two main concerns with CFX tags - [A]  are there likely to be
any
consequences for other clients of the misuse of this CFX tag?  (for
example
heavy use of the processor, hogging the RAM perhaps, opening up security
holes),  and

[B] since it's installed and available to anyone on the system,  what if
other clients start using the CFX tag?  Will there be any consequences
then?
Copyright/licensing issues perhaps?  Misuse or incorrect use leading to
the
sorts of problems described above.

For the vast majority of CFX tags, these aren't issues and we'd just
install
them and let the client go ahead and use them.   For some we'd want to
take
a little while and test them or verify the licensing etc.

It also depends somewhat on the client.  Some clients shouldn't really
be
allowed to walk the streets without a nanny holding their hands, others
know
what they're doing and you can leave them to their own devices.

But in short, we'd consider any CFX tag (or CFC, mapping, DSN, or any
other
CFAdministrator setting  too if it comes to that) and decide whether to
do
what's asked depending on the circumstances.  If the answer has to be
'no',
we'll try to find an alternative way to do what the client wants.

The default answer is YES.  (Unlike when I started hosting - my first
sites
were at SHANJE.COM where the default answer is "NO!"  and the exception
answer is "YOU'D BE KIDDING! -  NOT A CHANCE!")

Cheers

Mike Kear

Windsor, NSW, Australia

AFP Webworks