----- Original Message -----
From: "Bryan Stevenson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: Remember Me

> A persistent cookie (set with CFCOOKIE with an expiry) will handle your
> "remember" folks.  So if they check the box then you set their session
> cookie with an expiry. If they don't check the box then set the cookie
> (non-persistent...in memory only and destroyed when browser closed)
> without the expiry (don't even use the expiry attribute in CFCOOKIE).
>
> That's the brute force of it.  There is some fine tuning ...for example
> handling the cookie if someone changes their mind and no longer wants
> to be remebered you'll have to toast the persistent cookie and then set
> a non-persistent one.  Beware of setting a cookie and then using
> CFLOCATION (cookie won't get set...will need a cfcontent/cfheader
> workaround).

Thanks.  So it sounds like my thinking that this couldn't be accomplished
only through CF client managment is correct.

Why not just use the cookie in conjunction with a CF-managed session?  Use
the cookie to note who the returning visitor is, then look up their user
record in a database and establish a new CF session, same as if they'd gone
through a login form?