From: Dick Applebaum [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, August 06, 2000 12:32 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help with updating a database

Chris

If I understand, what you propose to do is to update all your
products with a single page/form.  This may be practical for a very
small product line (say 10-20 products),

As your product line grows you will continuously need to update your
page & program... and performance will get worse and worse.  Consider
what your program will be for, say, 100 or 1,000 products.  At that
time you will probably have someone else (less qualified/familiar
with your system) doing the updates.

It could take minutes just to load the page!  It could become an
impediment to updating your product database & thus have a negative
affect on sales.

In the long, run you would be better off with:

   some sort of product search to drill-down to the specific single product
you
   wish to update.

   an update page/form that deals with only one product at a time.

   Most commonly this is done with a search frame for the drill-down, and an
   update frame for the selected product.

It is simple, straight forward, fast and will work, unchanged for
tens or millions of products.

HTH

Dick

At 11:39 PM -0400 8/5/00, Chris Farrugia wrote:
>Good day,
>
>I am creating the site for my computer store, where a user will be able to
>custom configure a new PC.  Currently I am stuck creating an administration
>page where I can update the prices in my database.  The table has fields
>(ProductID, CategoryID (Hard Drive, Motherboard, etc), Description, Price,
>Weight).  I want on the admin page for there to be all of the products
>listed in form text boxes.  If I want to edit one, I can change the content
>of that text box and then hit the submit button and it edits the database.
>The problem I'm running into is that I can't name the form fields the same
>thing because then it won't know which to edit...  Can anybody explain how
>would do this?  I am very new to coldfusion.  Thank you for the help.
>
>Sincerely,
>Chris Farrugia

the body.