There's no easy answer to this. My pages are somewhere in between those two cases.
There are many variables (50?) on a page so it would be a mess of
<CFOUTPUT>#var#</CFOUTPUT> text <CFOUTPUT>#var#</CFOUTPUT> etc...

I think that way CF would be burdened by processing many <CFOUTPUT> tags.
The other war CF would be burdened by scanning for #s.

6 of one, half-dozen of the other...