This is from memroy, so some of it might be a little off

> If a cfapplication has session, but not client management
> enabled (and is using client cookies), then is there any
> difference in the cookie that CF uses?  Expiration date,
> for instance.

The CFID and CFTOKEN variables are ALWAYS on the "session" level, so as
soon as you close the browser, they go

> How does CF keep track of sessions?  I realize it uses the
> CFID/CFTOKEN combo set in a cookie or in the url, but where
> does it keep session tracking information and session
> variables?  In memory?  All sessions are lost if the cf
> application service is restarted, correct?

It's done with the CFID and CFTOKEN variables - when a new session is
started (new browser window), it creates new ones for you
>From the documentation:
"Data is stored in memory so it is accessed quickly"
"Data is lost when the client browser is inactive for a time-out period.
You specify the time-out in the ColdFusion MX Administrator and
Application.cfm."

> If client management is enabled, does CF _ever_ clean up
> client variables or are they considered "permanent"?

In the Admin:
"Purge data for clients that remain unvisited for [] days"

> If client management is enabled, is there a simple way, for
> testing purposes, to reset the client variables so that a
> developer can test an application as if they were coming in
> fresh to the application?

There's a function
DeleteClientVariable()

HTH