----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Arnold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 7:46 PM
Subject: RE: Session vs. Client Management

> This is from memroy, so some of it might be a little off
>
> > If a cfapplication has session, but not client management
> > enabled (and is using client cookies), then is there any
> > difference in the cookie that CF uses?  Expiration date,
> > for instance.
>
> The CFID and CFTOKEN variables are ALWAYS on the "session" level, so as
> soon as you close the browser, they go

Assume you're setting client cookies (which is necessary, if I'm not
mistaken, to track the session without explicitly passing around the
CFID/CFTOKEN url tokens). The bit of experimenting I've done today suggests
that closing the browser does not end the session.  It's picked up once again
from the CFID/CFTOKEN in the cookie as long as the session hasn't timed out
on the server.

> > How does CF keep track of sessions?  I realize it uses the
> > CFID/CFTOKEN combo set in a cookie or in the url, but where
> > does it keep session tracking information and session
> > variables?  In memory?  All sessions are lost if the cf
> > application service is restarted, correct?
>
> It's done with the CFID and CFTOKEN variables - when a new session is
> started (new browser window), it creates new ones for you
> >From the documentation:
> "Data is stored in memory so it is accessed quickly"
> "Data is lost when the client browser is inactive for a time-out period.
> You specify the time-out in the ColdFusion MX Administrator and
> Application.cfm."

It appears that a new session will be started, but since the cookie exists on
the client end, the session will have the same CFID/CFTOKEN.  This is why I
asked if "session-only" (if there is such a thing) cookies would have a
expiration vs. the cookies used when client-management is enabled.  For an
application only using session management, it doesn't really affect behavior
one way or the other, though.  I was just wondering.

> > If client management is enabled, does CF _ever_ clean up
> > client variables or are they considered "permanent"?
>
> In the Admin:
> "Purge data for clients that remain unvisited for [] days"

I'm running CF5 and don't see this in the Admin.  Was that included in this
version?

> > If client management is enabled, is there a simple way, for
> > testing purposes, to reset the client variables so that a
> > developer can test an application as if they were coming in
> > fresh to the application?
>
> There's a function
> DeleteClientVariable()

Ok, I can get rid of client variables in the client variable store, but I'd
really like to completely destroy the client cookies and force CF to see the
client with a completely new CFID/CFTOKEN.

Thanks.